Thank you for your interest in The Studio Museum in Harlem. We are currently hiring for the following positions: Family Programs Coordinator; Administrative Assistant to Deputy Director; Museum Educator; Security Officer.
The Studio Museum in Harlem is looking for a highly motivated, energetic museum education professional to be responsible for the coordination of the Museum’s Family Programs.
The Studio Museum acknowledges the need for families to spend time together. Nurturing bonds between parents and their children through art, the Museum offers programs and activities that allow families to share in the creative process.
Family Programs at The Studio Museum in Harlem encourages children and adults to explore the exhibitions, participate in art-making activities, and whenever possible meet and work with guest artists. Programs are designed to encourage intergenerational conversation between children and adults and prompt families to discover new and exciting aspects of art on view.
- Develop and implement Family Programs including Target Free Sundays, Lil’ Studio, Books & Authors, Kids, and special programs as directed.
- Build and foster relationships with other arts organizations, individuals, and groups in an effort to extend Museum services to a wider community.
- Organize recruitment efforts for Family Programs, including email outreach and participation in community meetings and events.
- Teach and/or participate in family-related aspects of Education Programs, as needed.
- Perform administrative duties for programs including ordering supplies, documentation, and writing year-end reports.
- Develop family-friendly interpretive materials.
- BA/BFA in art, arts administration, art history, art education, African American Studies, or an equivalent combination of education and experience in related fields.
- At least 2–3 years’ experience in family programming with responsibilities in planning, development, and implementation of programs.
- Community outreach and developing relationships with cultural, social, and educational organizations.
- Passion for the dual mission of achieving artistic and educational excellence.
- Ability to assess priorities and work well under pressure; excellent time management, problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and ability to work with close attention to detail.
- Demonstrated proficiency with and accuracy in using MS Office products, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and other related software applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work professionally and tactfully, represent the Museum with a high level of integrity and professionalism, adhere to Museum policies and support management decisions in a positive, professional manner.
This is a full time position, work hours include weekends, early mornings and some evenings, to participate in Museum activities and to meet job goals and deadlines.
Salary will be commensurate with experience, skills and knowledge. Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
The Studio Museum in Harlem was founded in 1968 by a diverse group of artists, community activists and philanthropists who envisioned a new kind of museum that not only displays artwork but also supports artists and arts education. The Studio Museum in Harlem is the nexus for artists of African descent locally, nationally and internationally and for work that has been inspired and influenced by black culture. It is a site for the dynamic exchange of ideas about art and society.
The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for providing a wide range of administrative support to the Deputy Director.
- Manage and maintain the Deputy Director’s calendar and travel arrangements;
- Prepare and edit routine correspondence;
- Prep Deputy Director for meetings and calls;
- Complete and submit expense reports and payment requests, and manage credit card account reconciliation;
- Liaise with internal staff at all levels and receive incoming visitors;
- Manage the Deputy Director’s incoming and outgoing mail;
- Support the Deputy Directory administratively, including researching projects, providing clerical support, filing, copying, typing, and scanning;
- Other duties as needed
- Attention to detail
- Communication skills
- Professional dress and demeanor
The successful candidate will have excellent communications skills, pay close attention to detail, thrive in a team oriented environment, and is pro-active and skilled in office management.
- High school diploma is a must, however, a college degree is an added advantage;
- 2+ years of administrative support experience;
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- The ability to work with confidential documents;
- Knowledge in operating standard office equipment
Salary will be commensurate with experience, skills and knowledge.
E-mail cover letter, resume and writing sample. No phone calls or faxes, please.
The Studio Museum in Harlem is looking for highly motivated, energetic museum education professionals to be responsible for leading in-gallery tours and hands-on workshops. Per diem museum educators will be hired to work on individual tours, workshops and projects. This is a Per diem position, and does not provide regular part-time/full-time hours or benefits.
- Leading tours in the museum galleries for various groups
- Leading hands-on workshops for school, family, and community groups
- Attending exhibition trainings and professional development sessions
- Some weekend and evening hours as necessary
- BA/BFA in art, art history, art education, African-American Studies, or an equivalent combination of education and experience in related fields.
- Some knowledge of Contemporary American/African-American art
- Museum education experience
- Understanding of object- and inquiry-based teaching practices
- Experience working with youth, families, schools and adults
- Strong organizational, communicating and administrative experience required
- Must be available no less than three days during the week
To apply candidates are required to send:
- Resume or C.V.
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three references
- A brief description of a sample 45-minute workshop, for an age group of your choosing, engaging Nari Ward's All Stars. Please include an introduction to the work itself and a materials list. (http://www.studiomuseum.org/exhibition/permanent-collection/nari-ward-all-stars)
Please send application materials in one PDF via e-mail. We regret that we will not be able to accept phone and/ or email questions.
The Studio Museum in Harlem is seeking experienced Security Officers with valid security license and fire guard certification. Must be articulate, with a flexible work schedule.
- High school graduate with Security experience preferably at a museum or other cultural institution a plus.
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of all basic security procedures (general)
- Knowledge of basic security procedures regarding art work including handling, receipt, removal and care a plus
Commensurate pay and benefits offered.
Please e-mail resume and cover letter. No phone calls, please. Only qualified candidates need apply.
Click here to learn about seasonal internship opportunities.